- How your nervous system can suppress your immunity - September 7, 2020
- DISCOVER HOW SUPERFOODS CAN INCREASE YOUR SPERM QUALITY - July 30, 2020
- What you need to know about COVID-19 if you are pregnant - April 9, 2020
Would you ignore an alarm in a building, or your iPhone not working correctly? Well, our bodies are similar; they give us warning bells to let us know that its in dire need of a clean up and support. Toxins invade our body every day from heavy metals, organic pollutants, microbial compounds (bacteria and yeast forming toxins in the gut), the breakdown of ammonia and urea, and hormones. Liver health is one of the most important aspects of your health as it is the organ of detoxification.
Your liver is truly an amazing organ as its one of the four major organs that eliminates toxins from your body, alongside creating bile to aid with digestion and the filtering of your blood.
Your liver is a serious super star! Although your liver might not be the prettiest of organs, it performs one of the most important tasks. Detoxification of internal toxins such as the burning of energy sources, proteins, hormones and fats. Your liver also detoxifies external toxins such as medications/drugs, alcohol and food additives and sweeteners.
The liver has two phases of detoxification. Phase I neutralises unwanted chemicals. If toxins are allowed to build up then phase II comes into play to combat the intrusion.
How do I Know if my Liver Needs Support?
- Are you not feeling your vibrant self?
- Do you struggle with low energy most days?
- Foggy brain?
- Is your immune system often compromised?
- Do you have sore, achy muscles for no reason?
- Is your skin breaking out in rashes or spots?
- Do you often feel depressed or low mood?
If you said yes to any of the above, your liver could be in need of a reboot and some support. Here are 5 foods that will support your liver and keep it working efficiently while doing its job of keeping your body clean.
5 Foods to Support Your Liver
- Beetroot juice – a review by Clifford, T et al (2015), reported that liver damage was reduced in subjects treated with beetroot juice (betalain the red pigment is used by your liver in phase II of detox).
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, watercress and cabbage. A study by Percival, M (1997) found that cruciferous vegetables when eaten daily reduced carcinogenic effects and aided the phase II liver detox.
- Onions – Percival, M (1997) found that onions were also an important support for phase II detox.
- Garlic – From Percival, M (1997) study, he not only proved that garlic was important to support the liver in phase II detoxification, but found garlic also contained blocking or suppressing agents of certain toxins associated with carcinogens.
- Turmeric – In a study by Percival, M (1997), he found that turmeric was important for phase II liver detox along with being a blocking agent for toxins.
It is also equally important to drink plenty of water to help the liver flush out toxins in urine and to maintain around 30 minutes of exercise a day.
Liver health is critically important, as our environment is filled with many toxins in the air we breath, the water we drink, the conventional vegetables we buy, commercial drugs, makeup and hormonal imbalances in our body due to stress.
By focusing on the 5 main foods listed and gaining support from your local naturopath or nutritionist, you will potentially add years to your life and wellbeing. For full support book an appointment with one of our experts today.
Clifford, T., Howaston, G., West, J, D., and Stevenson, E, J, (2015). The Potential Benefits of Red Beetroot Supplementation in Health and Disease. “Nutritnts” 7(4), 2801-2822
Percival, M (1997). Phytonutrients & Detoxification. “Clinical Nutrition Insights” 5 (2), 1-4.