Key Message: Fluoride is a dangerous neurotoxin
Action Point: Install a high-quality water filter to help eliminate or reduce the amount of fluoride that you are exposed to on a daily basis
Since the 1940’s, the introduction of fluoridation (the process of adding fluoride to public water supplies in an effort to prevent cavities) has attracted controversy. Now, the prestigious medical journal The Lancet has published a report that supports the fact fluoride is a developmental neurotoxin.
The report now adds fluoride to the list of harmful environmental pollutants alongside well-known hazards such as mercury, lead and arsenic. It shows neurotoxins at high enough levels can cause developmental disorders and are of particular concern to unborn babies and young children whose brains are still developing.
Studies have repeatedly linked fluoride to reduced IQ and brain damage.
Reported effects of fluoride on your brain include:
- Reduction in nicotinic acetylcholine receptors
- Damage to your hippocampus
- Formation of beta-amyloid plaques (the brain abnormality in Alzheimer’s disease)
- Reduction in lipid content
- Worsening of lesions induced by iodine deficiency
- Impaired antioxidant defense systems
- Increased uptake of aluminum
- Accumulation of fluoride in your pineal gland
There are so many scientific studies showing the direct, toxic effects of fluoride on your body. It is surprising that the harmful effects have been known for over half a century and yet the medical (and dental) communities are so stubbornly resistant to recognize the connection in the increase of cognitive decline in adults and behavioural issues in children (ADD, ADHD, depression and learning disabilities)
In fact there have been more than 23 human studies and 100 animal studies linking fluoride to brain damage.
What can you do?
A high-quality water filter installed in your home can help eliminate, or at least reduce, the amount of fluoride you and your family are exposed to on a daily basis. Also, write a letter to your local government or council explaining your concerns over the fluoridation of the public water supply and try to educate yourself first to see if your water is fluoridated.
The results support the possibility of an adverse effect of high fluoride exposure on children’s neurodevelopment. Future research should include detailed individual-level information on prenatal exposure, neurobehavioral performance, and covariates for adjustment.
- Dr Edward F, (2014) “Medical Journal Designates Fluoride as Neurotoxin”. Global Healing Centre, Accessed online on 18 September 2015 at http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/fluoride-named-neurotoxin-medical-journal/
- Mercola, J Dr. (2013) “ Harvard study confirms fluoride reduces children’s IQ” Huffington Post Online. Accessed on 18 September 2015 at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/fluoride_b_2479833.html
- Dr. Philippe Grandjean, MD, Philip J. Landrigan, MD. Neurobehavioural effects of developmental toxicity. The Lancet Neurology, Volume 13, Issue 3, Pages 330-338, March 2014. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(13)70278-3.